As an important add-on feature our app allows users to import their own favorite POIs from free sources on the internet like http://maparadar.com/
and many other sites.
A POI (Point of Interest) is a dataset containing GPS coordinates that represents interesting and important locations in navigation applications. The most popular POI categories are for example, speed cameras, radars, accommodation locations, restaurants, petrol stations, parking lots, wifi hotspots, attractions, etc. This way you can plan routes to POIs, or be warned by the app when passing by a POI.
Custom Points of Interest for Sygic GPS Navigation
What types of files can be imported into the Sygic app:
You can find instructions how to convert .txt or .csv files to compatible .upi / .rupi format in the section POI Convertor.
- POI database from Mobile Maps app or Sygic Drive (files with .upi extension)
- POI database from Sygic (files with .rupi extension))
- You can also download files in the compatible .upi format directly from http://www.poiplaza.com/
Note: To display the POI on the map in the application you need to import a corresponding icon (a .bmp picture) along with the POI (.upi/.rupi file).
File requirements for import:
You must import a minimum of 2 POIs.
- Both .rupi and .upi must be separately for each country. You cannot use multiple country POIs in one .rupi or .upi file.
- Extensions .rupi, .upi and .bmp must be lowercase
- The name of the icon (.bmp file) and of the POI (.upi/.rupi files) must be the same e.g UK-Pharmacy.upi, UK-Pharmacy.bmp
- The name of the POI (.upi/.rupi) will be displayed as the name of the POI category in Sygic navigation. So UK-Pharmacy.upi will appear in Sygic navigation in category UK-Pharmacy
- The icon (.bmp file) should be in square format e.g. 100x100px. If the icon is too big or too small, it will be adjusted automatically by the app.
- The icon should be either 8 bit or 32 bit bmp format.
Import POIs on iPhone / iPad (iOS)
- Launch iTunes on your Mac/PC. Connect your iPhone/iPad to Mac/PC.
- Click on your iPhone/iPad and go to the Apps tab.
- Choose Sygic navigation in "File Sharing".
- Drag and drop .upi/.rupi and .bmp files directly into Sygic.
Do not drag and drop folders.
- Sync your iPhone / iPad with iTunes.
6. If Sygic is running on your iPhone/iPad, close it.
7. Launch Sygic on your iPhone/iPad.
8. A dialog for import of custom POI will open and your are done.
Import POIs on Android smartphones
- Copy .upi/.rupi and .bmp files directly into Sygic/maps/import. Do not copy folders.
- Launch Sygic GPS navigation.
- A wizard for import of custom POI will open after launch
Import POIs on Symbian smarphones
- Copy .upi/.rupi and .bmp files directly e.g. X:/Sygic/auramaps/import. Do not copy folders (X is the mass storage where maps are located).
- Launch Sygic GPS navigation.
- A wizard for import of custom POI will open after launch.
To import text files (files with .txt extension)
- The convertor supports ASCII, UTF8 and UNICODE format
- For each POI the parameters must be arranged in following order: longitude | latitude | name | address | phone | fax | web | email | short description | long description
- First 3 parameters are required (longitude, latitude, name)
- It is not necessary to include all parameters
- You may drop out certain parameters (except for the mandatory parameters longitude, latitude and name) but you need to include an empty space for each parameter that you drop out
-The delimiter specified in the first line of the TXT file should be "|"
To import .csv files
-0.075771|51.332663|Esso petrol station|Greater London
-0.075771|51.332663|Esso petrol station|Greater London, Addington Rd, Bromley
-0.075771|51.332663|Esso petrol station|Greater London, Addington Rd, Bromleyemail@example.com
-The delimiter specified in the first line of the TXT file should be ","
To specify the delimiter
- Open .csv in Excel
- Insert new row and write “delimiter=,”
- Save as “CSV (comma delimited)”
How to convert files to RUPI format
-0.075771,51.332663,Esso petrol station,Greater London
Visit our Support forum to find answers to your questions.
- Download the convertor here
- Launch the convertor on your PC
- Click Browse Files to browse the directiories. Convertor will automatically search the directory in which is placed.
- Select .txt files that you want to convert.
- Run the conversion to convert the files to RUPI format. Sygic GPS navigation is able to process .upi and .rupi format, so there is no need to convert .upi to .rupi format.